Notice of Administrative Regulation Filings Learn More

Business Filings Information

​​​​​Starting a Business

The first steps you must take when you are starting a business are to choose the type of entity to form and to file the appropriate documentation with the Secretary of State's office.  There are helpful tools, including the "Choose a Structure Wizard," on the Secretary of State's One Stop Business Portal. You can complete and file the necessary forms through the Portal or this website.

You can check the availability of a name through an online search, in writing, or by phone at (502) 564-3490. To ensure the availability of a name, you can file an application for reservation or renewal of reserved name.

Ongoing Obligations

Existing entities have ongoing filing obligations. All entities doing business in Kentucky, including corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, and business trusts, must file an annual report by June 30 of each year. Failure to file the annual report by June 30 will result in the entity being listed in bad standing with this office and could lead to administrative dissolution or revocation of authority to do business in Kentucky.

Business Changes

Entities operating in the Commonwealth must also file documentation of certain changes. Every entity formed or doing business in Kentucky is required by law to maintain a principal office, which can be located in or outside the state. All correspondence from this office will be mailed to an entity's principal office. Each entity must also designate a registered agent and registered office in Kentucky upon whom a process (such as summons and subpoenas) may be served. Service on the registered agent is deemed to be service on the entity, regardless of whether the registered agent actually forwards the notice to the entity. Any time an entity changes its principal office, registered agent or registered office, it must file a statement of change with this office.

Statement of Change of Principal Office (POC)
Statement of Change of Registered Agent and Office​ (RAC)​

Other changes that require filings with the Secretary of State include amendments to articles of incorporation, mergers and dissolutions. In addition, any individual or entity that conducts business under an assumed name must file a CertAssumedName.PDFcertificate of assumed name.

Other Information

Forms, online tools, fees and research resources are available on this website. For additional information, please consult the frequently asked questions or contact the filings division:

• Phone: (502) 564-3490
• Fax: (502) 564-5687
• Em​ail
• Mail:  Office of the Secretary of State
           Business Filings
           700 Capital Ave.
           P.O. Box 718
           Frankfort, KY 40602

Protect Your Business From Identity Theft

In addition to regularly reviewing your business filings online, make sure you provide your email address on your business filings so the Secretary of State's office can notify you of any changes or filings made with respect to your business.

More resources, including tools for prevention and recovery, are available at www.IdentityT​ This website was developed with the help of the National Association of Secretaries of State and can help you understand and reduce the risk of business identity theft.


Additional Information on Forming a Business in Kentucky

The Kentucky One Stop Business Portal is a comprehensive resource for opening and operating a business in Kentucky.